I am curious about what it would take to use an alternate protocol at layer 4 with apache.

I have already posted to the users list and was referred here.

Apache can communicate with several TCP protocols but I have a module
project which needs UDP communications as well.  I have searched the
documentation, archives, and 2.0.48 HTTPD server source for this and all
I find are references for beos, testcockets, LDAP,  DNS lookups and some
OS-related stuff regarding NIS.  Oh yeah, and an old SSL exploit
apparently made HTTPD open a UDP listener too...

In any case, I have not found a reference to how to configure apache to
do this and need to know where I should start to create or adapt for this functionality.
We realized that we might have to code this personally to make this
work, but would rather not if it is already in existence.

Another question I have is, can we create a module that services UDP "connections" without
hitting the cental apache server code.

Thanks!
Matthew Gress