Geoffrey Young wrote:
If you have a concrete example of something that needs to query the state,
then we can examine whether it should hook into the processing
differently. I bet there is a different hook or approach that can avoid a
query of the state.

I think where stas is headed are cases like ryan's mod_apachecon

http://rkbloom.net/rbb/mod_apachecon.c

which seems to be to be a valid example - you want to manipulate part of the
HTTP request, such as the request line or incoming headers, and post-read is
too late. but simply scaning input for GET .* HTTP/1.0 isn't sufficient,
since it's not foolproof, so it would be nice to have something that
signaled the start of a request.

Yes, that's exactly the case I'm talking about. Thanks Geoff.