On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:
> The perchild mpm seems to be the closest thing to what I am looking for,
> but the manual warns that it is not functional. Is this still the case?

Yes.  I don't know of anyone successfully using perchild.  There is another
group working on a successor called something like mpmmux, but they've
been rather quite too.

> Can perchild support the idea of becoming a user specified via an auth
> module using something like basic authentication?

Not with its current design.  For one thing, it needs to have a pool of
child threads available for each possible user, which would make it rather
inappropriate for a large number of users.  For another thing, it
currently only supports different users on a per-vhost basis.   But I
suppose that last restriction would be easy enough to relax.

Joshua.