Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

--On Tuesday, August 3, 2004 8:11 AM -0400 Brian Akins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Under load, squid will always use 100% of the CPU. This is because it uses
poll/select.

Ouch.  That sucks.

(But, httpd uses poll - so why does that force 100% CPU usage?)

httpd blocks. Squid doesn't in general. Squid just calls poll over and over and does lots of very small reads and writes.

Is it worth compiling my own squid then? (Read that as 'reboot my box to FreeBSD and use the squid port.')

Check the configure and make sure you up open files and use poll. Also kill ident checks.

-- Brian Akins Senior Systems Engineer CNN Internet Technologies