On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:43:17 -0600, Graham Leggett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>                                                        Apart from backhand,
> are there
> in the experience of the people on this list any other significant apps
> out there that are keeping people from deploying httpd v2.x?

The only complaint about functional regression I've heard from our
user base in quite a while is disk caching proxy.  (needs stable
mod_disk_cache, where stable means something more than "we just
addressed a bunch of known issues, please go put it in production and
let us know how many times your pager goes off ;)" )

For the users I work with, it is rare that they depend on a
third-party module which doesn't already support 2.0, and in fact
there are a number of common situations where 2.0 is a better
solution:

 "If you were using &server; 2.0, this issue wouldn't occur."
  (e.g., various resources both in core server and in key modules
which are utilized much more efficiently with threaded server)

"If you were using &server; 2.0, we could work around this problem as follows"
  (e.g., implement small module utilizing 2.0 API features to
work-around limitation of
  some other part of the system)

"With &server; 2.0, feature A and feature B are not mutually exclusive."

But it takes multiple occurrences of these situations over time before
user will switch since the user needs to spend bulk of their time
worrying about their applications instead of messing with the web
server.  So users with less interesting environments (problem
situations are rare) remain on 1.3 much longer, while users with more
interesting environments are predominantly on 2.0.