On Nov 20, 2004, at 10:32 AM, Paul Querna wrote:
I would like to have a semi-official policy on how long we will provide security backports for 2.0 releases.

I suggest a value between 6 and 12 months.

Many distrobutions will provide their own security updates anyways, so this would be a service to only a portion of our users.

As always, this is open source, and I would not stop anyone from continuing support for the 2.0.x branch. My goal is to help set our end user's expectations for how long they have to upgrade to 2.2.

As long as there are people willing to work on bug fixes or other improvements,
who are we to stop them? They can of course always fork, but I'd rather have them
contribute their bug fixes back to us. Official policies are just red tape.

-aaron