On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> Kristina Clair wrote:
> > I'm running apache2 on redhat 7.3 servers with very heavy http
> > traffic.  I'm wondering if it might be wise for me to try to use the
> > worker MPM rather than the default prefork.  Does anyone have any
> > real-world experience with this?  Our users are allowed to run any cgi
> > scripts they want --  could this cause a potential problem with
> > worker?
>
> As far as I know CGIs /always/ get their own process so they should be

Well, it's slightly more complicated than that due to the the CGI gets
spawned -- fork()ing a threaded process in order to exec() the CGI is not
so nice.  So on threaded MPMs, mod_cgid gets used instead of mod_cgi.  It
has a separate process that runs as a cgi daemon with which the server
child processes communicate.  It's that daemon that forks to exec the CGI
script.

--Cliff