ok, it just hit me that my last response was probably too academic for your
needs.  this part escaped me...

> Apache does all that but only against its files, not against application
> generated requests.

> Anyway if I do this inside of my <directory> tag:

> All requests are going through and my Auth requests for 401 Authentication
> are not validated and fail.

<Directory> is a filesystem-based container, but it is only one of several
ways to configure your server.  see also <Location> and <LocationMatch> for
URI-based configuration and even <Files> and <FilesMatch> for filename-based
configuration.  between all of them, and a basic understanding of how the
different containers merge, you can effectively apply the Require directive
only to the parts of the configuration that you want.  see

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/sections.html

for some helpful guidelines.

--Geoff