Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
--On Friday, January 21, 2005 2:46 PM +0000 Joe Orton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Modern versions of GCC/binutils/... support flags which allow building
"Position Independent Executables".  This a Security Feature (TM) which
means that executables can be loaded at non-fixed locations, making it
harder to write some types of exploit.

Any objections for committing to the trunk?

I'm fine with it in trunk, but I'd be against a 2.0 backport...  -- justin

What is the reason against a backport? As far as I know (Joe please correct me if I am wrong) it is already used for the Apache 2.0.x delivered with Red Hat AS 3.0 Upgrade 3 (and maybe Fedora???). So there is actually some test base for running Apache compiled with this option. I was also able to compile my own Apache and run it successfully on Red Hat AS 3.0 with this compiler option enabled. As the patch does not seem to make --enable-pie a default and this option only works on systems which have a supporting gcc installed I do not understand why it should not be backported.

Regards

RÃdiger