On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 06:26:00AM +1100, Bojan Smojver wrote:
> When I said "legal", I meant that in the technical sense. Along the
> lines of "if I rely on what's below CORE_PRIVATE, am I setting myself up
> for a disaster when those things change without notice?"
>
> Basically, are functions and other bits available under CORE_PRIVATE a
> fair game for module developers or are they in publicly available
> headers by some historical accident? Are they "standard" part of the
> API, but as you said for "the ones that know what they're doing" (which
> would then exclude me :-)?

They are not part of the public API. They are very subject to removal,
change, or other bastardization at a whim.

A number of modules within the httpd distribution erroneously set that
#define and then use stuff. But we can always fix those things if we make
changes to the "hidden" APIs.

I can think of at least two points in the past where some of us have said,
"this is crap! we should move all this gunk to a private header!" Great
idea, but nobody has been peeved enough to do it.

So yah: you run a risk of you use them.

If you *do* need something hidden by CORE_PRIVATE, then bring it up along
with a rationale for why that thing should be made public. That's your
best solution.

Cheers,
-g

--