At 04:02 PM 3/30/2005, Nick wrote:

>I understand that if a CGI process is launched then gets stuck, if the CGI
>process keeps quiet, the apache server will not 'know' the http connection has
>broken so will not 'know' to kill the CGI process. The stuck CGI process and
>the accompanying apache process will then needlessly use system resources
>indefinately.

Nick, don't feel bad about approaching this list, your timing
is actually amusing :)

We just backported a change which will clobber an httpd process
more thoroughly, and I have a request routed directly to me to
look at this on Win32.

One issue is the cleanups of cgi processes, as many have to do
some sort of cleanup (and be killed if they runaway.)

I agree the control you describe would be ideal.  And it solves
my question about our axing stale httpd processes, after ensuring
cgi processes have an opportunity to complete.

Bill