On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 02:56:21PM -0700, Russell Miller wrote:
> We wanted to disallow the POST method, because for our purposes we wanted the
> arguments to said calls to be logged in the access log.  We considered using
> LimitExcept, but upon trying it, I saw that a 403 error was returned, and a
> search of the bug database showed that you had no plans to fix this.

I don't think returning 403 is a bug;

10.4.4 403 Forbidden

   The server understood the request, but is refusing to fulfill it.
   Authorization will not help and the request SHOULD NOT be repeated.

> I don't understand your reasoning on that, but anyway.  We needed a
> 405 error, and the only other way to do it was to test it in the CGI
> code itself, which was ugly.

But it's really the only place it can be done, from RFC2616;

10.4.6 405 Method Not Allowed

   The method specified in the Request-Line is not allowed for the
   resource identified by the Request-URI. The response MUST include an
   Allow header containing a list of valid methods for the requested
   resource.

httpd can't predict what methods the resource will accept.

> So, in true open source style, I hacked on mod_cgi and made a patch.

This patch doesn't seem to honour RFC2616, and doesn't add an "Allow:"
header to the request. It's also specific to a single method.

However, at present I don't think mod_cgi(d) will allow an "Allow:"
header through from a CGI, so this probably should be fixed, for this
reason.

--
Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: [EMAIL PROTECTED]