Sander Temme wrote:

One aspect of TCAHMAN that I hadn't covered in my original discussion is how to add modules from the repository to an existing Apache install. This would require a program, installed with the server, that can fetch the module code and run the build/install. We have tentatively named this program apxs++ since it's a logical extension of what apxs does today. For maximum compatibility, this tool would have to be written in C. Currently, apxs is a Perl program but you can't always count on the availability of Perl on the system, especially on Windows. The apxs++ tool would be available only when mod_so is available.

FYI - please don't worry about perl on win32.  Between Randy's distro
and the ActiveState offering, perl is fairly ubiquitous (at least more
common than python).  If we need a common denominator, I really have
never had an issue with perl.  The bigger problem is scripting for the
lowest common denominator, at least perl 5.005, since there are so many
flavors commonly distributed.

Digging into C implies a serf-like http: client library, which is
certainly less prevalant than perl itself.  At least libwww is trivial
to obtain, if not already bundled.

Bill