Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

3. We should probably turn on the email-address-obfiscation feature. I personally would prefer if everyone could just use proper spam filtering, but I think the general expectation nowadays is that we try to avoid displaying raw addresses.

I think this feature is lame (and said so when it was proposed).
Spammers are just going to de-obfuscate anyway.  Enabling this provides
a false layer of security that does no one any good.

As has been pointed out, this is a trade off. You can get real protection at the cost of losing the ability to find real email addresses. Or you can get protection that will work against 95% or more of current web-robots and worms with a simple but reversible obfiscation. I favor the latter, but mod_mbox currently provides only the former.

Although I agree with Justin in principle, the fact is that we are one of a very small number of major archives that provide unobfiscated email addresses. As such, we are a major draw for worms and address harvesters. Is this really an area where we want to stand out?

Joshua.