Graham Leggett wrote:
Joshua Slive said:

I agree with you about 90%.  The problem is that there are a very few
things that aren't accounted for in standard HTTP caching rules.  One
example is Varying access by client IP address.

I can't see how you could have any meaningful caching at all if the
content is varied by IP address, unless you had the IP address in a header
and did some clever caching of variants.

In this case you'd probably not use the cache at all for this part of the
URL space.

This is the case we've been discussing where someone wishes to, for example, restrict a reverse proxy to a particular network. I agree that it can't be done with standard caching rules, which is the problem. I don't think it is a huge problem, but I'm sure there are people who wish to run a host-restricted proxy.

Another example is
changing protocol behavior when communicating with the client.

What protocol behaviour would change, can you give an example?

force-response-1.0, for example. Brian points out that this could still work if it was global. But you couldn't apply particular protocol adjustments to particular areas of the URL-space. This probably isn't a big problem.

Joshua.