[Your merge today prompted me to dig out a response I started but
never finished.]

I am still worried that we are underestimating the pain that this will
cause.  In my opinion, a config change that requires substantial
changes to every httpd.conf and many .htaccess files requires a major
version bump (to 3.0) unless it can, in some way, be made seamless to
the end user.  And there is no way to deny that this will put a large
roadblock in the way of upgraders.

On 1/6/06, Brad Nicholes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>    I believe that this could probably be done.  Basically "Allow from"
> was split into the 'IP', 'Host', etc. providers because that is how it
> was represented in the source code and it just naturally fell out that
> way.

From a code perspective, I understand.  But the directives should be
structured from a user perspective as much as possible.  I'd prefer to
see just the "host".

>   Honestly, I struggled with this naming myself but really couldn't
> come up with anything better that would accurately represent "Allow from
> all" or "Deny from all" and still fit the authz provider model.  I'm not
> sure that  "Require host all"/"Reject host all" quite fits it either
> because we aren't always talking about a host.

But using host maps very well to how people currently think about
this.  Host is the base access control method and other things are
generally built on top.  Again, I'd prefer to see this folded back
into host.

> > 4. It isn't made clear anywhere whether RequireAll or RequireOne is
> the
> > default.
>
>   Yeah it probably needs to be stated somewhere,  however the default
> is <RequireOne> basically because that is how it works today if you use
> multiple Require directives.  I guess I kind of expected that to be
> obvious.

Well, very few people use multiple require directives, so I don't
think it is so obvious.  And the default to the old Satisfy directive
is All, which is equivalent to <SatisfyAll>.  Obviously there is no
way to keep both of these old behaviors, so it winds up being a major
change either way.

Joshua.