William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Joseph Dane wrote:
Joshua Slive <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

In very early versions of the Apache HTTP Server, the
<directive>AddType</directive> directive was also used to activate
special server-side processing (such as <module>mod_include</module>
or PHP) by assigning "magic" MIME types to files.  This  can create
problems in more recent versions and should be avoided in favor of

for the record (not necessarily for the docs) can you expand on the
sort of problems that might arise?

It actually avoids more problems than it creates, consider the example.php.txt file, which if done with AddHandler will always run through the php handler, while if done with mime types will devolve to text/plain through the standard
handler (which is what's implied by the filename ordering.)

Right, which is not what the average Joe expects.

Nick, these ****'s over here were actually around in 1996 when this was added and understand very well the difference between AddType and AddHandler. The folks who understand the difference can of course use either, but for those who don't, AddType's behaviour is the one people understand. If we asked people to go and change all their AddTypes to AddHandler it could actually cause a number of nasty security problems so we have no motivation to do that.

-Rasmus