On Jun 8, 2006, at 3:38 PM, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

Another option is that we could ask the ASF to formally consider upping
roots and changing jurisdiction. I have little doubt over what the
answer would be, but I'd prefer that we exhaust all of the alternative
options before doing anything which would intentionally prohibit
developer participation.

That would only shift the burden onto individuals within the US.
OpenSSL essentially does that, but at the cost of being separate.
The ASF can't move -- it can only allow some other group to copy
the code base and fork.

The sane solution would be to convince the US government to remove
encryption from the export control list, since that regulation has
been totally ineffective.  That is not likely to happen during this
administration, though, and I don't think the ASF is allowed to
lobby for it directly.

....Roy