Ruediger Pluem wrote:

On 07/26/2006 10:53 PM, Jean-frederic Clere wrote:

I already have a prototype of an external health checker process that
uses an AJP cping/cpong and a simple connect for http/https.
Basicaly mod_proxy uses the health_worker_method routine to write and
read from a slot mem that contains the information of the workers + a
health information. A balancer could check the health information before
using the worker. The health checker process uses the worker description
(thru the health_worker_method) to check if the back-end service is
running.

Sorry, you may have explained that before, but why using an external health
checker process?
The idea is to have the health check independant from the requests so that httpd knows in advance that a worker is not working.

My thoughts are more the line to do a health check on a connection every time
you lease it from the pool.
That means you try a worker that may be down since a while (<x seconds).
If I use something request driven, tell check every x seconds I would like to check all workers, how to do that without slowing down the request that causes the health check?
I will make a try ;-)

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Regards