Niklas Edmundsson wrote:
don't care about performance...

Actually, cache on xfs mounted with atime doesn't seem to be a performance killer oddly enough... Our frontends had no problems surviving 1k requests/s during the latest mozilla-update-barrage.

1k requests/second is not really that much... 10k requests/second is more what I'm used to. XFS sucks for us as a cache storage. It tends to crock under some traffic patterns (reads vs writes). ext3 is actually more reliable for us. Reiserfs is interesting, but tends to go haywire from time to time.

We clean our cache often because we have a really quick way to find the size and remove the oldest expired objects first. Every cache store gets recorded in SQLite with info about the object (size, mtime, expire time, url, key, etc.). Makes it trivial tow write cron jobs to do cache management.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer