Roy T. Fielding wrote:

As far as *I* am concerned, changes to the cache code must be correct
first and then perform second, and both of those should be proven by
actual testing before being committed to trunk.

+1.

We have an existing cache that breaks in real world environments.

We have a contributed patch set from Niklas Edmundsson that addresses these issues, and is used in production. It works. A significant amount of work has been done to ensure that after each patch was committed, the code was tested and still worked.

It works for me, very well.

We have some very valid objections to some of the methods used in this patch set, and based on these objections a major part of one patch was rewritten, and the last patch in the set was never committed.

We also have some very clear things that the patch is not allowed to do - including but not limited to threading and forking.

- APR needs significantly improved documentation attached to its doxygen comments.

- APR needs a notifier API to determine whether ap_core_output_filter() will block. This addresses Joe objection to the assumption that ap_core_output_filter() won't block on files. This also removes the need for any threading or forking.

- The notifier is also needed so that the need to fstat then sleep is removed.

Further work is being done to solve the above issues, but too few people are testing this code. This is another call to download trunk and to try it out, and to identify any issues encountered so that they may be identified and fixed.

Regards,
Graham