Seriously, that would be great, now all you need is someone to
actually work on it...

Well, I looked doing it just so I could track down some odd behavior
that occurs under FastCGI on rare occasions. The current code would
need a few changes to the source:

1. Compile on Apache 2.2 [easy]
2. Rename the module (so that someone can also install the FastCGI
module not knowing that they are basically the same). [easy]
3. Setup defaults for a PHP installation, change the parameter names,
and remove those that aren't relevant. [easy]
4. Change the configure and make stuff to work the php way (working
with PECL, maybe later as integrated into base install of PHP). [no
clue]
5. See if Apache 2.2 has fixed shortcoming that the author thinks
exist in AP2, and adjust the code accordingly. [hard for me, and not
really needed anyhow]

At the end of the day, it doesn't do me much good to make a php module
that works with both windows and unix, and both process based and
thread based apache servers. I already have the knowledge on how to
get the FastCGI module configured and working everywhere I need it.

I might find it interesting to do items 1-3, and they aren't too hard.
But I don't get a real benefit, so why dedicate the time?

Its sort of like the Event MPM. Great unfinished idea. Well, that idea
was far better. :) But it disables ssl connections altogether, for
example, and so isn't really useful. I'd just make more of the same.