On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 10:34:31PM +0100, Stuart Children wrote:
> Behaviour *has already been broken* from 2.0.x to 2.2.x - I've given
> evidence of this. Our work systems heavily rely on the 2.0 behaviour.
> Maybe someone else would like to repeat my tests - it's possible
> it's not as simple as I think. Checking the 1.3.x behaviour would be
> interesting too.

The original code did only override >= 400 responses, but was broken as
described in PR 20183.  That was changed to override all >= 300
was probably really just PR 20183 in disguise:

the original bug, PR 20183, was later fixed:

but I confess to missing the preceding 400->300 change at the time.
That leads to what is in trunk/2.2.

I agree that the intended behaviour of the original code was intuitively
correct, only >= 400 errors should be overriden, and adding
configuration foo to try to maintain "compatibility" is adding
complexity to cover up a screw-up.  Nobody actually *wants* 3xx errors
to be overrided here, it makes no sense.

joe