William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
Shaw, Dan wrote:

   1. Does a apache proxy server create stateful or stateless connection
      upon request?

It might help to clarify right off that RFC 2616 defines HTTP/1.1 and prior
as stateless protocols.

Dan, maybe you mean "persistent" rather than "stateful"? At least for the "reverse proxy" setup, which I believe is what you're considering, mod_proxy does implement persistent connections to the server, if configured to do so. Search for "smax" on the mod_proxy documentation page. In fact I've found the connections to be rather too persistent in some cases (see my messages in the "mod_proxy: is smax=0 allowed" thread).

2. On the transport layer does the proxy server stream data or send ACK back to
originating
request and then continue with sending request from proxy to end server/point?

I believe that it streams the data with a buffer size set by the ProxyIOBufferSize directive. Or something like that. But I have a vague recollection that there is some sort of issue with the content-length header, i.e. you don't know what it should say until all the data has been sent.

Regards,

Phil.