On 9/20/07, Ashwani Kumar Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I want to start the httpd web server through my own application and then I
> would like to shut down the web server once I wish to bring my application
> down, normally or abnormally (in case).
>
> Will it be fine if I spawn the Apache web server by httpd -X option? Would it
> create some unforeseen prob in my application.
>
> All this I am doing so that I can kill the apache web server through
> kill(pid, sigkill) option. Killing two httpd processes after spawning two
> httpd processes is difficult.

No, this is not the right solution.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, -DNO_DETACH is
available if you just don't want apache detaching.

But even easier, you only have to kill one single process (the apache
parent process written to the httpd.pid log file) and that process
will take care of killing off all the rest. But you do it withh
SIGTERM, not SIGKILL, to give the process a chance to do the cleanup.

Joshua.