On Oct 2, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Ruediger Pluem wrote:

Slightly off topic, but this gives me the idea that we could use
OPTIONS * as some kind of ping / health check for pooled connections
in mod_proxy_http before sending a request (at least in the reverse
proxy case before sending a request that is not idempotent or after
the connection has not been used for a certain amount of time).
The current is_connected check has a race condition if the keepalive
timer of the backend server kills the connection just after our check
and before it received our request.

:)

We already do similar with AJP where, right after ap_proxy_connect_backend() it does a quick check. I think we even discussed having HTTP do something
similar awhile ago...