On Wednesday 10 October 2007 16:55:03 Jim Jagielski wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2007, at 8:38 AM, Aleksey Midenkov wrote:
> >
> > The behavior is wrong since 2001-03-16 and since then it *sure*
> > made and keeps
> > making confusion. About 6 years.
>
> Whatever. I would for sure wager that if this is changed, people will
> see a SLEW of incoming reports that "Hey, I switched from 2.2.6
> to 2.2.7 and I'm seeing this change"... I am also sure that wrong or
> not, there are a lot of people who have either worked around this
> or are depending on it, and cutting them off at the knees with
> no workaround is hardly something responsible developers should
> do.
>
> I really don't care all that much, but I tend to recall that we
> have at least *some* responsibility to our userbase out there, and
> fixing something to help out one set, while at the same time ignoring
> the impacts on another set is foolish.

Of course it would be foolish. Actually there must be a sensible tradeoff
between correctness and backward compatibility. And of course there must be
an alternative for those who depend on wrong behaviour. I think in our case
the quantity of those who wins from such behaviour is much smaller than of
those who loses. In fact, I doubt that there will be numerous complaints if
any will be at all. And resolution for those who will suffer can be

SetEnvIf Request_Protocol HTTP/1.0 nokeepalive

No unnecessary CPU processing for majority. I am sorry if my persistence can
appear as a pressure to someone. But I really think this is the best
solution. :)