I've made some progress in ruling out some false alarms that revelaed
themselves initially. Specifically, the 103 I thought I was sending
was just my addition of 103 to http_protocol.c working improperly
(apparently even after httpd.h was updated, but nevermind that for
now). In any case, my current filter simply execuites the following
code, apparently to no avail:

            char *tmp;

            tmp = apr_pstrcat(f->r->pool, AP_SERVER_PROTOCOL, " ",
                              "103 Checkpoint", CRLF CRLF, NULL);
            apr_brigade_cleanup(bb);
            e = apr_bucket_pool_create(tmp, strlen(tmp), f->r->pool,
                                       f->c->bucket_alloc);
            APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_HEAD(bb, e);
            e = apr_bucket_flush_create(f->c->bucket_alloc);
            APR_BRIGADE_INSERT_TAIL(bb, e);

            ap_pass_brigade(f->c->output_filters, bb);

Does something else need to be done/happening to allow me to send a
provisional response? This doesn't seem to work using
ap_get_status_line(100) instead of "103 Checkpoint" either.

Any thoughts or pointers would be appreciated.

thanks,
Charles