Akins, Brian wrote on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 2:07 AM

I saw this comparison somewhere. It just does not seem to match what I have seen. Our little ole website has been known to take a few connections from
slow clients, but we have not really seen this slow down.  I'd like to see
more specifics of the test. All of my numbers are from real world "stuff."

It seems the test (done by another guy) indeed used an "everything plus the
kitchen sink" default Apache httpd at first, but then "dropping off 3/4 of
all of the default modules" (maybe not that much, but only for serving
static pages) seemed to have a not big help. The MPM used the default
configuration (prefork on Linux and threads on Windows). [not your
settings?]

(FYI, "NAPI" is just a way which Linux handles NIC irq's better - a gross
simplification, but it makes a huge difference on very busy web servers.
I'm sure other OS's have something similar?)

Maybe that was a big difference. (The "default Linux" didn't provide such
feature.) But it might have limited help for greatly increasing the
connection number.

Bing
----
School of EE & CS,