On Oct 30, 2008, at 2:16 AM, Graham Leggett wrote:

I don't think the intention would be to use a single process on Unix -- we would still spawn multiple children -- they would just be created using fork+exec of the httpd binary, rather than just fork.

This doesn't make sense - fork is far more efficient than fork+exec, we shouldn't be supporting the less efficient one for everybody just because it means less code.

Instead we should try and fork, and if fork fails (eg Windows), or where configured (eg Leopard until Apple fixes it), it should fall back gracefully to fork+exec.

+1
I'd think that most people who'd done process-wrangling in unix-like systems and other alternatives (VMS, Windows) would have come to appreciate the many virtues of fork(). This feels like a pessimization. -T