On 12.01.2009 10:04, Joe Orton wrote:
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:36:07PM -0000, rj...@apache.org wrote:
Author: rjung
Date: Sun Jan 11 09:36:07 2009
New Revision: 733493

Log:
Allow to trigger rotatelogs log file rotation from
using HUP and INT signals to the rotatelogs process.

This is helpful, when log activity is low, but you want
rotatelogs to close the open log files.

Sending SIGTERM to the rotatelogs process and having the parent recycle
it should have done that already, surely, without adding all this
complexity to rotatelogs?

A lot of the stuff you're doing in the new signal handler is not
async-signal safe, so -1.  (closeFile notably calls pool functions)

I send a patch for trunk to the list, including reliable piped logging for the error loggers.

Coming back to "adding complexity": as you might have noticed I added a bit of other functionality to rotatelogs and part of the complexity comes from making it a bit more modular (moving code into functions).

The added functionality is:

a) allow to rotate based on time *and* size (check both and rotate whenever one of the two criteria applies)

b) verbose output (for debugging purposes, log parsed config flags and whenever rotation occurs)

c) Allow B, K, G, T as unit characters for sizes in addition to 'M'

I really like a) but b) and c) are not that important. Removing b) makes the code shrink about 60 lines.

Any preferences?

Regards,

Rainer