On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:09:14AM +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

> On 8 Apr 2009, at 08:32, Joe Orton wrote:
>
>> So I'm not sure that it's worthwhile.  Having said that, it seems a
>> lot more worthwhile than the mod_privileges approach in the trunk,
>> which seems to claim it is secure so long as you don't execute
>> untrusted code, so I'm not sure what threat model that addresses at
>> all.
>
> That's untrusted, privileges-aware code.

"This stab-proof vest protects you from being stabbed by all attackers
who are not holding a knife"

> Use case: mod_php, whose safe_mode prevents loading such code.

safe_mode is security theatre, it's not a reliable sandboxing mechanism,
and is being removed in PHP6, thank goodness.  The point is: if you are
interpreting PHP code in-process, from a security standpoint you must
consider it equivalent to running arbitrary executable code.  Arbitrary
executable code can, so far as I can tell, revert whatever changes
mod_privileges made to the process' privileges - is that not correct?

Regards, Joe