On Tuesday 01 September 2009, Torsten Foertsch wrote:
> Just a few thoughts:
>
> - You use GLOBAL_ONLY in ap_check_cmd_context. That means the
> directive must not appear in vhost context. AFAIK,
> conn->base_server reflects the vhost in a pre connection hook if it
> is IP-based. So, why don't you allow for RequestTimeout to be valid
> in ip-based vhost context?

Basically because I didn't get around to write the merge function yet.
But it's on my todo list.

> That way the protocol problem is solved,
> isn't it?

That's true. It's probably not necessary to detect non-http virtual
hosts automatically. Just let the admin configure it.

> - Wouldn't RequestTimeout better be named RequestHeaderTimeout or
> ReadRequestHeaderTimeout? RequestTimeout is a bit missleading
> (IMHO). My first thought was: That thing limits the whole
> transaction.

Maybe. I will think about this.

> - You mentioned a minimum body transfer rate instead of a simple
> timeout. If the default values for LimitRequestFields,
> LimitRequestFieldSize and LimitRequestLine are added up I get a
> max. request header size of 101*8190 bytes. This may take some time
> to transmit while still valid. So, perhaps a transfer rate limit
> for the header is a good option, as well. Perhaps having both a
> timeout and a rate limit would be good.

A more realistic estimate for the maximum for a valid request is
10*8190 + 91*100, i.e. there are normally only very vew long lines.
But if the transfer rate function is added for the body, it's easy to
add it for the headers, too.