Sorry for missing earlier messages; I don't follow httpd as closely as before.

See my replies below:

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 06:28, Stefan Fritsch <s...@sfritsch.de> wrote:

>> > I believe the intent of using inode/device-number keyed locks was
>> >  to  ensure that the lock database is independent of the mount
>> >  point - i.e. you could move it around in the filesystem and it'd
>> >  still work.

No, I don't think so. The database would be movable with or without
inodes, afaik.

That is dim history :-P, but I am pretty it is because I was looking
forward to when the BIND protocol was implemented and you could bind
multiple URLs to the same resource. Thus, if you wanted to lock the
*resource*, then the inode was your primary key. Locking one path and
allowing changes through another would be Badness.

>... [snip: bad PUT behavior] ...
>
> Since nobody disagreed, I am going ahead with this and remove inode
> keyed locks and make PUT use temp files.
>
> Using temp files and inode keyed locks would require to either copy
> (instead of move) the temp file to the target file, or to extend the
> dav_hooks_locks interface. I think both solutions are worse than just
> switching to file name keyed locks.

People aren't running around with symlinks in their repository, I
believe. mod_dav is pretty unaware of them, and Bad Things are
advertised to happen. It already takes some steps to explicitly
disallow symlinks as "files". Thus, the notion of one resource in two
locations is probably moot.

Therefore, improving the PUT situation rather than keeping inodes is a
very good tradeoff.

Thanks,
-g