On 23.08.2010 15:56, Jim Jagielski wrote:
Either today or tomorrow I will be tagging and rolling httpd-2.3.8

Just a head's up.

I played a bit with the new http proxy ping. If it is activated and the proxy receives a POST request via HTTP/1.1, it always returns "HTTP/1.1 100 Continue" to the original client, independent of whether the client itself requested this (Expect header set or not) and independent of whether a timeout occured during the backend ping.

RFC 2616 says in 8.2.3:

      - An origin server SHOULD NOT send a 100 (Continue) response if
        the request message does not include an Expect request-header
        field with the "100-continue" expectation, ...
        There is an exception to this rule: for
        compatibility with RFC 2068, a server MAY send a 100 (Continue)
        status in response to an HTTP/1.1 PUT or POST request that does
        not include an Expect request-header field with the "100-
        continue" expectation. This exception, the purpose of which is
        to minimize any client processing delays associated with an
        undeclared wait for 100 (Continue) status, applies only to
        HTTP/1.1 requests, and not to requests with any other HTTP-
        version value.

So we don't really break the spec but it could be that some clients might not tolerate any expectation response they haven't asked for.

Regards,

Rainer