I remember these discussions as well (sorry no detailed pointers) that
AddOutputFilterByType was broken and that it should be removed or fixed.
It is even marked a deprecated in the Apache 2.2 documentation for 2.2
This is an approach to get it fixed. And currently I think it is a
good approach

1. Since it allows the continued use of AddOutputFilterByType just by
2. It is easier to configure then to use native mod_filter syntax.

But yeah, there might be implementations that work and that have less
overhead. But so far nobody felt an urge to implement them.

Regards

Rüdiger