Stefan:

This is PR 49437.

crypt_data is a bit more than 128K on my Linux box.

  Yup, mine too, my bad -- typing while tired.

Any opinions how this could be improved?

- use malloc/free instead. This may be bad for performance (e.g. glibc's malloc will use mmap/munmap by default for blocks > 128K, which is expensive)
- create and destroy a temporary pool from the global pool
- add a function apr_password_validate_ex that accepts a temp pool. This is only possible in apr-util 1.4.x - leave the current behaviour and document that ThreadStackSizes lower than 256K are problematic on Unix. I am leaning towards just fixing the documentation, even if that may mean that something like 60-100K per thread are used just for doing crypt().

  I'd agree with that, and maybe also the apr-util fix for APR 1.4
and httpd trunk.

Chris.

--
GPG Key ID: 088335A9
GPG Key Fingerprint: 86CD 3297 7493 75BC F820  6715 F54F E648 0883 35A9