On 03.01.2011 22:11, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> On Monday 03 January 2011, Kaspar Brand wrote:
>> Ah, right - my mistake. But even on an EBCDIC platform,
>> ap_xlate_proto_from_ascii would only make sense if we were
>> converting pure 8-bit character strings (from ISO-8859-1 to some
>> EBCDC code page), right?
>
> ap_xlate_proto_from_ascii() does the right thing for DN strings that
> contain only ASCII characters. For non-ASCII characters it produces
> broken results, but that would not be a regression. Therefore we
> should leave the ap_xlate_proto_from_ascii() call there.

Ok, true. For the sake of better "readability", could we put that line
into an #if APR_CHARSET_EBCDIC block, to make it obvious that it's a
no-op for non-EBCDIC platforms?

> Maybe someone
> familiar with EBCDIC can write an improved conversion function (maybe
> just escape all high-bit characters?).

Does APR-util support some kind of (lossy) conversion from UTF-8 to
EBCDIC? If so, server/util_ebcdic.c could be extended accordingly.

Kaspar