On 28 Feb 2011, at 10:32 PM, Igor Galić wrote:

I think we discussed such possibilities last year at the retreat
but didn't really follow up on it, so lets assume it's a fresh new
idea which I just thought of :)

ap_read_config() passes the config file it gets more or less
directly to ap_pcfg_openfile() which again pass it more or less
directly to apr_file_open() -- now what if we wanted to place
our configuration files on a remote (HTTP ;) resource. Of course
it sounds silly to boot-strap an HTTP server from an HTTP server
but JBoss for instance supports that -- in part at least: For the
application's properties files.

I looked at this concept a number of years ago, and from the research I did it's definitely possible.

Ultimately, we have a mechanism that produces lines, and each line is fed into a parser that parses the config. Right now, that mechanism is "open file, read it in line by line", but there is nothing stopping us from making this pluggable.

The idea I had in mind was to teach the Include directive how to support URLs, for example like this:

Include http://somewhere/something.conf

or something like this:

Include ldap://some-ldap-url

where the default is this:

Include file:///some-path

AKA

Include /some-path

All we would need to do to start would be to define a suitable hook to consume the lines, and then refactor the existing file based code to use the hook. At a later date, people can add implementations as and when they see fit.

Regards,
Graham