Nick,

I understand the goal.
But what about indicating for each module the "hook phase" it is using (first/middle/last).

Probably only one entry for most modules.
One entry fort some directives for complex ones.

Would this be so complex to read? I agree it would probably be ignored by most readers, although the principle would be rather easy to understand.

For the moment, I have the impression that simplicity takes precedence over exhaustiveness, no? Where else (apart from the code) could I find this information? If somebody has another idea how to compile it (like a separate table containing every module "hook phase"), that's also a solution. Would it be realistic to have a table with all modules "hook phase" (with several entries for some of them)?

Regards,

Nick