On 04 Jun 2011, at 7:55 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:

Would anyone object to adding a simple filter able to encode
rfc2397 to httpd?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2397
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme

I think this would be nice for mod_include. Did you have any other
consumers in mind?

mod_include would be the most obvious consumer for a vanilla httpd installation. I was asked to build one of these, and I think it is small and simple enough to build it and donate it to httpd. Where we want to use it is from php, a call to a restful URL that returns the base64 data URL and gets included in the page, and means that our php people don't have to reinvent rfc2397 wrapping over and over again. You just drop in the filter on a view of your source images and you're done.

I'm keen to see us offer more useful filters to our collection, it is one of httpd's killer features.

Regards,
Graham