Regardless of anyone else's opinion, the addition or deletion of a
new API to our product is a technical change that can be vetoed.
Likewise, the API being an incomplete abstraction that isn't
needed in httpd is a valid technical reason to veto it even if
it had once been in apr-util.

Other than the convoluted history of this particular argument,
I don't see any reason for further frustration.  Revert the commit.

Whatever it is we need to add to httpd in order to support
compatibility with 2.2.x for some future version of APR,
we can do so as specific fixes that solve a specific problem.
If someone gets a brainstorm and comes up with a perfect LDAP API
in the future, then the discussion can be revisited at that time.

....Roy