On Friday 02 December 2011, Graham Leggett wrote:
> On 03 Dec 2011, at 12:42 AM, minf...@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: minfrin
> > Date: Fri Dec  2 22:42:39 2011
> > New Revision: 1209754

> > Log:
> > mod_proxy: Make ap_proxy_retry_worker() into an optional
> > function. Allows mod_lbmethod_bybusyness,
> > mod_lbmethod_byrequests, mod_lbmethod_bytraffic and
> > mod_lbmethod_heartbeat to be loaded without mod_proxy yet being
> > present, which happens when modules are loaded in alphabetical
> > order.
>
> The proxy modules need a bunch more refactoring like this so that
> the modules can be loaded cleanly in any order.
>
> Right now, we've gotten away with this due to the alphabetical
> naming of the proxy modules, sorted alphabetically mod_proxy comes
> before mod_proxy_http, and it just so happens mod_proxy_http
> depends on a lot of symbols provided by mod_proxy, so we work by
> accident.
>
> The above change solves the problem for the mod_lbmethod_* modules,
> which sort alphabetically before mod_proxy and so cause a problem
> for people.
>
> While I want to backport this change to v2.4, we don't have to
> backport the rest of the changes if doing so will delay httpd v2.4
> for any length of time. Right now I have a bit of time, so am keen
> to do it.
>
> There are also functions in mod_proxy that are only used by a
> single mod_proxy_* module which ideally should be moved to the
> module that needs it.

There are also a bunch of utility functions that take a function name
as argument for logging. I think this should actually be replaced by a
module_index argument, which should then be passed to ap_log_*. This
way the utility functions would write log messages in the name of the
calling module, and be subject of the log config of the calling
module.

But that's a bit late for 2.4, too.