Okey dokey...

Let's talk about the specifics of carrying this out... the
main issues is how we tag and roll this. Recall that we don't
have any "real" concept of Release Candidates.

I'm assuming we can simply tag as 2.4.0-RC1 but what about
the MMN and the below:

  #define AP_SERVER_MAJORVERSION_NUMBER 2
  #define AP_SERVER_MINORVERSION_NUMBER 4
  #define AP_SERVER_PATCHLEVEL_NUMBER   0
  #define AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN    1

  /* Synchronize the above with docs/manual/style/version.ent */

  #if AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN
  #define AP_SERVER_ADD_STRING          "-dev"
  #else
  #define AP_SERVER_ADD_STRING          ""
  #endif

I propose that for the RCs, we keep AP_SERVER_DEVBUILD_BOOLEAN as
'1'... When we go for GA, we then, and only then, change to '0'
and retag as 2.4.0.

OK?