I had "assummed" that apache2 was so that people could test apache2 without
killing their apache"1" installation.

IMHO IBM's packaging of early apache (called IHS for - I think IBM HTTP
Server) was 'different' and they kept changing the name of the main
directory, e.g. changed the capitalization of the directory. Initially it
was something like /usr/HTTPServer/... -- I could never remember the
changes.

Not wanting to go off topic - this is related to my current working layout
for AIX -
Starting with AIX 5.0 (the beta version) IBM started using /opt as an
additional directory
for software packages - and these were "mainly" the RPM Linix Affinity
packages (aka RPM support). The formal definition I do not know. However,
as an observer I see that /usr and /opt are treated in WPAR (workload
partitions) as "compareable" because they are both considered to be common
to ALL AIX servers at a particiular TLSP (Technology Level + Service Pack).
Hence, they are mounted as read-only file systems in the WPAR.
/var is used in several ways. Traditionally for logging, but recently more
tools are storing data there as well.

Hence my preference for, if possible, a clear split between files meant to
be read-only/common to all installations and "installation variables".

Note also I am putting the man pages in the standard AIX manual location
(/usr/share/man) rather than in /*/apache2/* areas. Installed in that
location they are automatically available to the man command, i.e. without
any addition to a MANPATH variable.

Question: is any further discussion of an AIX layout "worthy/useful" in a
separate thread? (my original question has been answered I think as a yes -
do an AIX package).

If yes, the packaging tool is less important (to me). Initially, I am more
interested in feedback aka project decisions about the most manageable
organization for multiple instances (with System WPAR being a means to
generate additional instances).

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Noel Butler <noel.but...@ausics.net>wrote:

> **
> On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 12:13 -0600, William A. Rowe Jr. wrote:
>
> > I have often ponderd WHY people do things like this, the projects name is
> > apache, not apache2
>
> No, it isn't.  Apache is the name of the foundation, and one word
> of the project's title.
>

> You're right of course, so that makes it even worse - who then is apache2
> foundation  [image: :)]
>

>  The project is Apache HTTP Server.  Simply put, httpd.  If you want

<<face-smile.png>>