On 2/22/2012 9:21 AM, Jess Holle wrote:
> Does the event MPM work on Windows?  Or is Apache on Windows still limited to
> the winnt
> MPM?  If so, doesn't this leave Apache on Windows /far /behind other
> platforms when it
> comes to threads required for a given load?

No / Yes / Compared to event - yes, worker - no.

Event can't be supported verbatim; requires a server which supports
'fork', and we never abstracted AcceptFilter into apr (nor does the
unix filter API allow pre-read data to be delivered in a single kernel
accept call).

However, it should be straightforward to apply event mpm logic to the
Windows MPM, more using completion contexts rather than poll.  Any true
completion-oriented async winnt mpm should be expected to outperform
a poll based model, though YMMV.

> I guess it doesn't matter *that* much until the event MPM and mod_ssl work
> out their
> differences such that one can reduce the threads required when HTTPS is used.
>  For those
> who use a lot of HTTPS, the event MPM doesn't seem to buy one anything for
> now, right?

Right.  That could change, but mod_ssl needs to learn to be async, which
it doesn't yet.  And of course you don't save any SSL CTX's ... every
keepalive will require the full connection pool even when it isn't thread
bound.