On Mar 21, 2012, at 5:33 AM, Jim Jagielski wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> I don't change protocols based on fool security researchers and
>>> their failure to correctly direct security reports.  TRACE is not
>>> a vulnerability.
>>
>> That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to have it on by default. I
>> can't remember ever having needed it for debugging. While it may
>> actually be useful in reverse-proxy situations, it is usually
>> necessary to disable it there because one does not want to leak
>> internal information like the private IPs from X-Forwarded-For.
>>
>> It can also compound security issues in webapps. In general, one can
>> say that it increases the attack surface a web server presents to the
>> internet. I think it is a good idea to make it default to off.
>>

> I agree w/ Roy that having our defaults be non-compliant is
> bad, and actions which seem to imply that the idea that TRACE
> is a vulnerability is valid should be avoided.

TRACE won't work at all if the most popular end-point doesn't support it.

If folks want to protect clients (including gateways) against their own
stupidity regarding what they choose to send in a TRACE request, then
do so by selectively removing some lines from the response and I will
try to update the standard accordingly.

Turning it off by default is not an option.  I will veto that.

....Roy