On 07/10/2012 11:14 PM, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jul 2012, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>> [ ] +1: Adopt the comments.a.o system in the 2.2 and 2.4 branch of docs
>> [ ]  0: I don't care
>> [ ] -1: Don't adopt the system, because....
>
> I am +1 in principle, providing that some issues are fixed:
>
> Currently, it is possible to make comments.a.o send mail to arbitrary
> recipients because the email addresses are not verified. IMHO
> comments.a.o should only send mail to addresses that have been verified.
> This would mean that the email notification service would require an
> account.
>
> Also, it may be problematic that URLs that lack the protocol part (e.g.
> www.spam-now.com) are accepted. But it may be enough if such spam
> comments are removed by the moderators (at least if the mail address
> problem is solved).
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

Thanks for your input, Stefan.
I've added a check that will only allow registered users to be notified
when someone replies to their comments. We also discussed email
confirmation checks on IRC, and I will look into that tomorrow, as well
as probably start a new thread on the ML for future suggestions to the
comments system. We can enable/disable these features at any point in
the future, if it becomes a hassle or any such thing.

With regards,
Daniel.