I attached what I have in mind on how to solve this. It's basically what
you suggested.

There's one thing I didn't know how to address and that is mod_proxy_html's
ProxyHTMLExtended directive. It does suggest not to be turned on by default
(
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_proxy_html.html#proxyhtmlextended)
so I wouldn't put it into mod_xml2enc config creation. But then
mod_proxy_html would have to cause mod_xml2enc to include CSS/JS as content
type or we risk the two modules behaving inconsistently for non UTF-8
encoded documents.

Personally, I wouldn't want to rely on the user to remember configuring
ProxyHTMLExtended should always be paired with xml2AcceptContentType
text/css and xml2AcceptContentType application/javascript. That's bound to
cause problems.

I don't know about the caveats of one module telling another module how to
configure itself.

Cheers,
  Thomas