On Thu, 7 Nov 2013, Joe Orton wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:33:50PM +0000, Plüm, Rüdiger, Vodafone Group wrote:
> > Hmm. This points out another issue when using an error log provider for the
> > main server log:
> > We lose everything that the server or other programs like CGI-scripts write
> > to the stderr FD as it
> > is simply written to /dev/null. Don't we need to have a separate process in
> > this case that
> > like a piped logger reads from the reading end of the "stderr pipe" and
> > writes it
> > via ap_server_conf->errorlog_provider->writer to the log?
>
> Jumping in here...
>
> Actually there should be few cases where modules write to stderr, no?
> I'm not sure we should even consider "writes to stderr get logged" a
> valid part of the module API.  "If you're not using ap_log_*error,
> you're out of luck" is not totally unreasonable.

I think LDAPLibraryDebug is one user of stderr going to the error log. As
the logging is done by the ldap library, there is really no way to change
it. But I guess it would be acceptable if that works only if logging to a
file (as long as logging to a file can be enabled even if the normal
logging goes somewhere else via an error log provider).